Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gotta get it.

I just picked up the book "The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of My Feet" from Amazon. It's about 20 crazy stories written about the experiences of some of the best adventure racers in the history of the sport (and some amateurs as well). From what I have read so far, it's awesome. It arrived last night and when I opened it up, inside the cover was this...

The Adventure Racing Manifesto
If you're not hungry, you are carrying too much food.
If you're not thirsty, you are carrying too much water.
If you are warm, you have to many clothes.
If you are not wet, scratched, and bruised, you took the long way.
If you are not frightened, you have too much gear.
If you are not tired, you're going too slowly.
If you are not drop-down sleepy, you're getting too much rest.
And if you finish the race on schedule, it was too easy anyway.

It gives me chills. I am sooo hooked. This part of my life is definitely to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another book you may like is 'Gorilla Monsoon' by John Long. It is all about super crazy outdoor adventures by the master of insane activities himself.

Crazy Rower #2 said...

This was one of the best texts that I got out there. It came at a time when morale was a bit lower onboard, and was exactly what we needed at the time. Thanks again, you're an awesome teammate, can't wait to get started on land again!!