Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dropping Weight.

I spent most of the weekend studying for Organic Chem and doing all of my assignments for the next two weeks and getting ready for the big trip. I got a raincoat and some warm socks from the ole REI in order to complete my cold/rainy hiking wardrobe. I am getting pretty excited about hiking in the Peruvian Andes. The pictures I have seen are awesome.

In order to prepare for four days of hiking at elevation, I have starting doing the stair climber at the gym. Is there any piece of equipment or workout that makes you sweat so quickly? I am dripping in sweat by the end of 10 minutes...quite gross. I did 125 stories last night, whatever that means.

I am trying to pack light for this trip because carrying extraneous weight at 14,000 feet above sea level seems to seem like a bad idea. I know when backpacking, by about midday or mile 5 whichever comes first you really start to regret every piece of clean underwear you brought...really, who needs to be clean,. By day 2 your are pretty irritated that you thought you needed that stupid tent and by day 3 you start eating all your food just to drop weight. "Next time I am just bringing butter for my calories", you shout. Less really is more in this situation.

Also, a shout out to my buddy Jack who is racing the Baha 1000 solo on a motorcycle this Friday morning. He is one tough dude which is why I always want to cry when I ride mountain bikes with him. He doesn't ever want to stop to rest. It is around a 30 hour race with continuous speeds of 90 mph on desert trails...no stopping. Rip it up Jacko. Apparently you can follow along in real time here.

1 comment:

Gary Robbins said...

Your trip sound AWESOME! Can't wait to see the pics from it!
Can't agree more about the weight issue either, a tarp, a stick of butter, and some water should do you just fine!

GR